Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Punch Me I'm Irish.

So, did any of you punch an Irishman for St. Patrick's Day this weekend? If you didn't, it's okay, because you're basically allowed to do it all week, because no one cares about the Irish, and you'll probably only remind them of their fathers anyways...

KIDDING! Just kidding. I figure if an entire country gets a holiday named after 'em, then we're at least allowed to send a little bit of gentle ribbing in their direction.


(please don't come after me with baseball bats thank you I love you?)


Anyways: been some time since I posted, which is understandable, as I am currently in the midst of packing so that I can move into a house with my preggers Ladyfriend and her Hairy Urchin and we can all sit terrified waiting for Zombie Baby to emerge and visit her unearthly rage upon the world...wait, no. I'm thinking of something else; I
am moving, but it's a good thing, despite the fact that it'll be the first time in close to fifteen years that I won't live in the beltline.

Yes, I am afeared. No longer will I be able to just wake up and have everything I need a mere five minutes from my door; soon I'll be buttressed by riverside joggers and Chicken On The Way, both of which fill me with immeasurable dread.


It's okay, though. I just gotta breathe, is all.


Anyway: stuff, which means MUSIC!!!


1. Don't listen to this unless you enjoy being raped in the ear by gypsies. No, really.


2. Yes, Boris, if these two songs are anything to judge it by, the upcoming Breeders album is definitely worth getting excited about.


3. Queens Of The Stone Age vs. Young Dro. This almost beats out that 'Kryptonite' tune as my favourite mash-up discovery of the year. Lemme see ya bounce right an' left and see yo' shoulder lean.


4. Hey, remember the first time Modest Mouse came through town, how they got so drunk that they ended up only playing about seven songs, two of which were "The Stars Are Projectors" played back to back? Yeah, I know, it sucked, but The Helio Sequence opened for them, and they were pretty good, and their new song is impressive.


5. Bil Hetherington introduced me to The Notwist back when we were both sleeping on the job at Megasomethingorother. Think of them as the Postal Service, but better, and oh yeah here's the new song enjoy.


6. Cavalera Conspiracy,
Inflikted: This is SUCH. GOOD. METAL. In fact, it's funny: it turns out that all Sepultura really needed all this time was for Max to rejoin, while all his own band (Soulfly) needed was for Igor to play drums. Either way: prepare to be hit in the head with wonderful, wonderful heaviness.

7. Del Tha Funky Homosapien,
Eleventh Hour: I don't think you need to me to tell you how good Del is, right? I mean, y'all know about Hieroglyphics, and Both Sides Of The Brain, and the first Gorillaz album, right? Right? Fun Fact: Del is the only hip-hop artist I've ever seen live. I know, I'm sooooo white.

8. ...oh, and speaking of good hip-hop? Ex-Beano coffee-monkey and all-around pleasant individual Jim Brown just released another solo effort under the name Rank Nubah; again, I'm too white to know what that means, but you can pick it up at pretty much anywhere in town, and it's worth your while.


9. Hey look, R.E.M.'s back and they don't completely suck anymore. I mean, the new song's nowhere near
Automatic For The People quality, but neither does it completely blow, so, yay. I think.

10. I really wish this was called "All Those
Whores Meant Nothing To Me" as David Lowery initially intended.

On the movie front: 30 Days Of Night was better than I thought, while 3:10 To Yuma was disappointing, and both of them featured Ben Foster proving that he could play more than a whiny art school reject. Also: Hitman was worse than anything Bryn's got in his collection (and he's got a lot of bad movies...)(and what's worse is that I
expected it to be bad...), while The Host is probably the BEST MONSTER MOVIE EVER.

Also: I really liked the Ang Lee version of The Hulk, but I gotta admit, seeing Edward Norton play the big green guy opposite Tim Roth as the bad guy? Oh yes please.

(and even though there's a new Indiana Jones movie coming out, this new one by Stephen Chow might actually be 2008's Most Awesome Movie Ever.)

...um, okay, my interwebbery just blanked out for about three hours there, so I'm gonna go do something constructive now. Just think: the next time I post anything, I'll probably have a new postal code!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.